Richard Chernick, Esq. is the Vice President and the Managing Director of JAMS' Arbitration Practice. He is a recognized expert in the resolution of complex, multi-party matters, and has conducted over 1,900 arbitrations and mediations before all major administering institutions, both domestically and internationally. Mr. Chernick is the former Chair of the Dispute Resolution Section of the American Bar Association, and the Founding President of the College of Commercial Arbitrators. He served as the ABA's Advisor to the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act, and is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Mr. Chernick is a member of the Advisory Board of the Institute for Transnational Arbitration and of the arbitration panels of the Hong Kong International Arbitration Center, the Beijing Arbitration Commission, JAMS/Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association, Korean International Arbitration Board, Asian International Arbitration Centre, and the Chicago International Dispute Resolution Association (CIDRA).
He has authored several leading texts on ADR, and was an adjunct professor at both Pepperdine Law School and UCLA Law School. He currently teaches arbitration at USC Gould School of Law, and is the Chair of the USC ADR Program Advisory Board. In recognition of his extensive experience as a neutral and his contribution to justice within the community, Mr. Chernick is the recipient of the "Champion of Justice Award," presented at the annual Western Justice Awards, 2019.
As a neutral, Mr. Chernick is committed to working with parties to manage their process early, and to structuring processes that effectively meet the unique needs of every dispute. He is a leader in this field, and a valued member of the esteemed panel of JAMS neutrals.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Arbitration subject areas include the following:
- 25 years experience as an arbitrator (and 20 years as an arbitration advocate) in domestic and international, institutional and non-administered, sole and tripartite arbitrations
- Mediator and arbitrator of complex disputes including commercial, real property, employment, entertainment, intellectual property, technology, construction, and public law matters, full time since 1994
- Frequently serves as chair of tripartite panels of arbitrators before all major institutions in the United States
- Consultant on dispute resolution issues, including clause drafting and dispute system design
- ABA's Advisor to the drafting committee for the Revised Uniform Arbitration Act
Construction and Construction Defect - more than 50 cases involving construction defect claims (residential and commercial), road construction design, delay and distruption claims, design defects and engineering and architectural dsiputesEmployment
- more than 40 cases including termination, ADA, disability discrimination, executive level employment and related compensation issuesEntertainment
- more than 50 cases in all media, including profit participation and related disputes, distribution agreements, employment, talent contracts, management agreements, joint venture and partnership, agency disputes (talent-agency; agency-agency; employment disputes), idea submission, and copyright (sampling)General Commercial
- more than 100 miscellaneous commercial disputes of all descriptions, including post-acquisition accounting and earn-out disputes, and contract disputes of all descriptionsHealthcare and Pharma
- more than 25 cases including insurance billing, pharma joint marketing agreements, joint development agreements, license disputes, drug ownership, biotech, clinical trials, and medical devicesInsurance Coverage
- more than 20 cases in all commercial areas, D&O, E&O, employment, disability, environmental, mortgage insurance, entertainment, advertising, Cumis
, prize contracts, sports related coverage, securities law, and professional liability Intellectual Property
- more than 35 cases including copyright, trademark, and trade dress in all media including film, television, music, video games, computer software, literary, cell phone technology, bar code technology, and medical devicesTechnology
- more than 25 cases in telecom, cell phone technology, software, and medical devices International - more than 40 cases in all of the listed subject areas including technology, partnership, finance, intellectual property, internet (ICANN), entertainment, pharmaceutical, biotech and general commercialLaw Practice
- more than 20 cases including lawyer-client fee disputes, lawyer-lawyer fee disputes, legal malpractice, law firm break-up, and ethical and fiduciary duty issuesPartnership - more than 50 cases of all descriptionsPatent
- 10 or more cases imbedded in license disputes in other areas (technology, pharma, biotech)Real Property
- more than 30 cases, including appraisal (ground lease, shopping center, office building), partnership, broker commissions, broker malpractice, purchase agreement non-disclosure (residential), joint ownership issues, UP-REIT transactions, leasing, and development disputesSecurities
- 10 or more cases in addition to many cases with securities issues imbedded in cases in the commercial and insurance coverage areas including broker fiduciary dutyTelecom
- 15 or more cases in addition to many cases with telecom issues imbedded in cases in the commercial, technology and intellectual property areaa Title Insurance
- 10 pure title insurance coverage disputes in addition to cases with such issues imbedded in cases in the real property area