Randy Choy is a neutral who has nearly 40 years of experience in the legal field. During that time, he has mediated as well as handled a wide variety of cases, including complex personal injury, construction, and business litigation. Mr. Choy’s practice includes personal injury, business, construction, insurance bad faith and coverage, real estate, and family law. A seasoned litigator and trial practitioner, Mr. Choy’s experience provides him with valuable insights as a mediator to evaluate cases to facilitate resolution.
A native San Franciscan, Mr. Choy graduated from Lowell High School prior to getting his undergraduate degree at UC Berkeley, and he returned to San Francisco to get his J.D. degree. Mr. Choy maintains close community ties, both in the local legal community and the San Francisco Bay Area. He is also active in the Japanese and Chinese communities, which are an integral part of present day San Francisco. Mr. Choy is fluent in Cantonese and has knowledge of Mandarin.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Nearly 40 years of experience in the legal field, including litigation, trial, and mediation and arbitration experience
- Has successfully mediated dozens of cases
- Hearing officer of the San Francisco Residential Rent Stabilization and Arbitration Board
- Arbitrator for the San Francisco Superior Court, in both limited and unlimited jurisdictions
- Multiple construction/breach of contract cases involving contractors, sub-contractors, design professionals, and owners
- Case involving various allegations including construction defects, violations of building codes, and elder abuse. Additional issues included two parties in bankruptcy; insurance coverage issues and alleged sub-contractor violations of worker’s compensation laws
- Construction and fire loss cases involving both residential and commercial complexes
- Case involving general contractors and foreclosure of a mechanic’s lien and breach of contract
- Family Law
- Successfully mediated numerous family law cases, including issues such as child support, spousal support, characterization of property, reimbursements, and child custody and visitation matters
- Personal Injury
- Injury from mis-labeling, lack of instructions/warning for plumbing product, resulting in 2nd and 3rd degree acid burns over arms, legs, and torso of consumer
- Handled case in which an elderly person was attacked by a dog in the public area of an apartment complex and fell attemping to get away; coverage issues were invoved as well as multiple parties, including the injured party, dog owner, dog walker, apartment owner, and the homeowners association (HOA)
- Handled case involving two martial arts schools competing for business which resulted in a brawl; all parties alleged assault, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and fraud
- Handled case involving a motorcyclist who was killed while crossing a major intersection in San Francisco
- Handled pedestrian accident case where a person was struck and killed by a tractor-trailer rig
- Handled settlement of case involving a restaurant, parents and a young child injured at the restaurant
- Numerous auto accidents involving catastrophic injuries, including head injuries, traumatic brain injury, paraplegia, and quadriplegia
- Handled case where the plaintiff fell two and a half stories and suffered multiple fractures and head injuries that resulted in paraplegia. Allegations included failure to properly secure a stairway under repair.
- Case involving a minor who stole a vehicle, attempted to elude police pursuit, and struck another vehicle after running a red light. The accident rendered the driver of the second vehicle a partial paraplegic. Insurance issues included determination of primary, secondary, and excess coverage priorities, and involved three different policies.
- Drowning case in the Sierras, alleging improper supervision; case involved a community service organization, as well as the resort where the accident occurred
- Handled case involving injury and illness stemming from mold, damp conditions, and habitability issues in landlord/tenant/premises liability case
- Professional Liability
- Numerous wrongful death cases involving exposure beyond insurance policy limits
- Esthetician negligence case involving burns to extremities allegedly from hair removal techniques