Hon. David I. Brown (Ret.) is a full-time mediator and arbitrator with JAMS, bringing over 46 years’ experience in the legal profession. In 2008, Judge Brown was appointed to the Sacramento County Superior Court. Starting in 2010, Judge Brown served in the Law and Motion Department and worked to eliminate the court’s backlog. From 2010 to 2021, he also served in the Civil Settlement Department, settling numerous personal injury claims, business and employment disputes, lemon law cases and professional negligence claims, among others.
Drawing from his extensive civil litigation experience as a lawyer, Judge Brown brings a balance of legal thinking and commonsense reasoning to each case. His extensive background in mediation and settlement conferences allows him to evaluate both factual and legal claims, and to help the parties reach reasoned resolution.
Judge Brown is known as a fair, detailed and reasoned neutral, respected by both plaintiffs and defendants. He was named Judge of the Year by the Capitol City Trial Lawyers Association in 2012 and Judge of the Year by the Sacramento Valley Chapter of the American Board or Trial Advocates in 2013. Those who have appeared before him have witnessed his fairness and settlement skills. A Daily Journal article included the following comments regarding Judge Brown:
- “[Judge Brown has] shown an open mind.”
- “His ego is not involved.”
- “He likes to engage in a healthy debate with the lawyers in open court […] he’s not someone who is afraid, if the arguments and evidence take him that way, to change his mind.”
- “He is an avid researcher.”
- “[Judge Brown] places a high importance on civility.”
Before his appointment to the bench, Judge Brown was a co-founder of the Law Offices of Bailey & Brown, where he had an extensive civil litigation practice, handling matters in the following areas: insurance litigation, personal injury, uninsured and underinsured motorist arbitration, professional errors and omissions, insurance coverage litigation, construction defect claims/litigation, employment litigation, administrative proceedings, elder abuse litigation and others. In addition to his civil litigation practice, Judge Brown provided private mediation and arbitration services to the legal community, helping to resolve over 300 cases.
Judge Brown has lectured extensively to various bar associations, at judges’ seminars and training sessions, and for other legal and law-related organizations, including the Sacramento Paralegal Association. He has lectured on many occasions for the Sacramento County Bar on law and motion matters, including e-discovery, name and gender changes practice, and attorneys’ fees and costs issues, as well as
creditor/debtor issues and lis pendens.
- Numerous disputes between partners or co-owners as to management and possible dissolution of various business enterprises
- Numerous matters involving breach of contract and contractual interpretation
- Numerous matters between contractors, subcontractors, developers and purchasers involving various construction defect claims
- Issues involving recoupment of indemnitee claims
- Disputes involving contractual interpretations
- Disputes regarding allegations of physical abuse and neglect by skilled nursing facilities, residential care facilities for elders, and hospitals
- Elder abuse claims involving assessments and regulatory penalties
- Numerous disputes over elder physical and financial abuse, undue influence, breach of fiduciary duties, conversion and fraud
- Multiple cases involving coverage disputes, policy interpretation, excess coverage, construction defect coverage and fees/costs claims
- Numerous Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act claims, better known as California’s lemon law
- Disputes involving resolution of attorneys’ fees in lemon law cases
- Numerous claims for professional negligence and malpractice, including medical, legal, accounting, real estate errors and omissions, directors and officers liability and others.
- Products liability litigation, including claims involving medical devices, construction equipment and vehicle defects
- Arbitrator for business disputes involving commercial leaseholds and errors and emissions of real estate brokers/agents
- Foreclosure/HBOR claims involving both residential and commercial properties and interpretation of applicable statutes, both state and federal
Personal Injury and Torts
- Arbitrator of insured and uninsured motorist accidents
- Numerous personal injury claims involving the litigation of hundreds of automobile cases, many to verdict
- Premises liability cases litigated to verdict
- Hundreds of summary judgment and summary adjudication motions related to premises liability; government tort claims; vehicle claims, including autos and commercial trucking; premises liability; and government tort exposure claims
- Tribal disputes, including numerous claims regarding taxation, and tribal liability issues
Labor and Employment
- Class actions and California Private Attorneys General Act cases arising out of a variety of legal settings, including employment and false advertising
- Numerous state and federal wage and hour claims involving waiting time, failure to pay overtime, meal and rest breaks, and minimum wage
- Gender discrimination and sexual harassment claims
- Numerous trials and settlements involving wrongful terminations, sexual discrimination, age discrimination, race/cultural background discrimination, sexual harassment and hostile work environment