Available to conduct virtual/remote mediations, arbitrations and other ADR proceedings on a variety of online platforms, including Zoom.
Deborah A. David, Esq. has been a JAMS neutral since 2000 and has acted as lead mediator in hundreds of matters. Prior to joining JAMS, Ms. David served as a litigator for 25 years representing both defendants and plaintiffs in a variety of areas including aviation, business disputes, copyright, professional negligence, general tort, medical negligence, products liability, and insurance claims. In late 2002, Ms. David moved to London, England and continued her career mediating matters and teaching conflict resolution. In late 2016, she returned to live and work in Southern California.
Ms. David was appointed by the California courts to mediate roughly 50 cases related to mass tort litigation involving the Ford Explorer and Firestone tire rollover cases. She served by appointment of the Chief Justice of the State of California on the Judicial Council Task Force on the Quality of Justice, which evaluated and drafted legislation for improvement of the system of alternative dispute resolution in California.
Ms. David teaches conflict resolution skills in the US, UK, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia. She is a member of the invitation-only Lamport Hall Group, an association of the leading mediators in the United Kingdom.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Trained as Title IX external Hearing Officer and Adjudicator for colleges in sexual assault and harassment cases, including college-specific Policies & Procedures.
- Lead mediator in hundreds of matters including cross-border disputes, international business matters, employment claims, breach of contract cases, personal injury matters, medical negligence cases, other professional negligence claims (architects, accountants, brokers and attorney malpractice), and products liability and design cases.
- Certified mediator by the London-based Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (“CEDR”), the leading provider of mediation services and training in Europe. She is also a member of the CEDR panel of mediators and the CEDR faculty and teaches conflict resolution skills in the US, UK, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
- As an attorney worked on both sides of the bar in a variety of matters including professional liability, medical malpractice, aviation, copyright, employment, business disputes, insurance, and products liability cases.
- Multi-party industrial dispute involving members at all levels in the supply, manufacturing, distribution and marketing chains of a major industry concerning 11 years of complex commercial transactions
- Breach of contract dispute between a technology services provider and IT consultants
- Dispute between financial products and services provider and health care partnership brokers regarding the sourcing and provision of group health insurance to employees of a large hotel chain
- Supply contract dispute between U.K. based pharmaceutical wholesaler and Asian manufacturer
- Dispute between an electronic component distribution company, a hardware/software supplier and an international finance company regarding an agreement for the sale, purchase, installation and financing of an IT system
- Breach of contract for provision of IT services to a UK water company
- Breach of contract claim between dealership and overseas automobile manufacturer involving obligations under Dealer Agreement.
- Breach of contract dispute between purchaser of aircraft and aircraft manufacturer concerning language warranting the life of the engines
- Numerous employment related claims including sexual harassment, racial or ethnic origin discrimination, disability discrimination, sexual orientation discrimination, discrimination based on religious affiliation, hostile work environment, Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), wrongful termination, breach of employment contract
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Claims of illness due to contamination
- Severe brain injury claims
- Work-related on-the-job injuries
- Auto vs. Auto and Auto vs. Pedestrian injuries
- Construction site injuries
- Burn injury claims
- Premises liability claims including slip and fall claims and claims of inadequate security resulting in injury
- Wrongful death claims against police department
- Aviation claims including pilot and/or controller error, in-flight injury claims, and mass disaster and commercial aircraft crashes
- UM and UIM claims
- Professional Liability
- Wrongful death claim arising out of alleged mismanagement of patient’s condition
- Alleged Emergency Room failures to diagnose and treat
- Birth and intrauterine injury claims
- Blood banking and transfusion cases involving HIV and Hepatitis
- Catastrophic injuries due to alleged improperly performed surgery
- Claimed physician failures to diagnose and treat
- Claimed failures to administer medications, and/or overmedication
- Claims of failure to order appropriate diagnostics
- Cosmetic surgical claims
- Anesthetic mismanagement claims
- Claims of nursing home staff failures
- Negligence claims involving convalescent home management of patient
- Mass Torts
- Pharmaceutical product liability cases including vaccine cases and blood derived products for hemophiliacs
- Medical device liability cases including surgical lasers and intrauterine devices
- Automotive mass torts including cases involving unintended acceleration claims, Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) and All Terrain Vehicle (ATV) rollovers, Claims of defects in the ergonomic design of passenger vehicles and crashworthiness claims including roof crush and seat belt failure
- Asbestos claims
- Suits involving components manufactured by government contractors for use in classified applications
- Numerous aviation related matters involving both general and commercial aviation and both fixed-wing and rotor aircraft. The cases cover a broad spectrum of issues including design and manufacturing defects, pilot error, air-traffic control error, maintenance defects and errors and mass disasters