Hon. Morton Denlow (Ret.) joined JAMS in October 2012 following 16 1/2 years of distinguished service as a Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. During his time on the bench, Judge Denlow presided over thousands of civil and criminal matters. He conducted over 2,000 settlement conferences and tried a number of bench and jury trials, including complex commercial disputes, employment, ERISA, intellectual property and civil rights cases.
Judge Denlow is known as a creative problem solver who will not rest until a case is settled. During his first six years at JAMS, he achieved settlements totaling over $1.2 billion, including 176 settlements of $1 million or more. He has mediated more than 550 cases since joining JAMS.
Judge Denlow is a nationally recognized expert in settling cases. He is a sought after speaker and writer on mediation and settlement techniques. As a faculty member of the Federal Judicial Center, he taught hundreds of federal judges mediation skills and effective impasse breaking techniques.
Prior to his appointment to the federal bench on March 1, 1996, Judge Denlow was actively engaged for 24 years as a trial and appellate lawyer in complex commercial litigation, including 10 years as an active arbitrator and mediator. His breadth of experience as a trial lawyer, a settlement-focused judge, and successful mediator makes him an ideal choice to mediate complex cases.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
As a federal judge, Judge Denlow conducted over 2,000 settlement conferences on the full range of federal cases, including many complex commercial matters. Judge Denlow has handled matters involving the following areas of law:
- Antitrust: has experience in trying and settling complex antitrust and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) disputes. Since joining JAMS, Judge Denlow brokered a $97.5 million settlement in a multidistrict antitrust suit against producers of potash, a $4.8 million settlement involving the containerboard and corrugated paper industry and a $39 million settlement involving liquid crystal display (LCD) panels.
- Banking: has settled state court actions for $2.5 million involving claims that bank officers conspired with a third party to defraud bank customer; settled suits involving loans in default; settled 14 lawsuits and claims brought by the FDIC against former officers and directors of closed banks. These settlements involved D&O carriers and/or personal contributions by directors and officers.
- Business / Commercial: settled more than 100 of business/commercial matters since coming to JAMS, including a breach of contract and breach of warranty suit that had been pending for four years involving a municipality and a bus manufacturer, a dispute between a manufacturer and a distributor arising out of alleged breach of a distributorship agreement, and a multi-million dollar civil RICO suit alleging fraudulent business practices.
- Civil Rights: as a judge settled hundreds of civil rights claims against municipalities and other government entities. At JAMS, Judge Denlow settled the City of Chicago’s largest ever single plaintiff action, in addition to several multi-million dollar §1983 claims involving failure to provide medical care following arrest, false imprisonment and sexual harassment by a police officer.
- Class Actions: has settled over 120 class actions/cases, including cases under the Illinois Biometric Privacy Act ("BIPA"), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), securities fraud, Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), antitrust, state law consumer fraud and related attorney fee issues. His total JAMS class action settlements exceed $500,000,000.
- Cyber Security and Privacy: settled Illinois BIPA cases arising out of finger scanning time keeping system used in fitness, food processing, hospitality, hospital and hotel industries. Settled suits alleging hacking and improper collection of personal information through an app.
- Employment: settled hundreds of employment cases involving discrimination claims (age, sex, disability, race, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and retaliation), breach of employment contracts, EEOC, class actions, employment contract disputes, employee benefits, executive compensation, employment-related torts, labor-management disputes, non-competition, trade secrets, and numerous FLSA class actions.
- ERISA: pre-suit settlement for recovery of pension payments made in error to owner of acquired business, ERISA class actions, disability insurance policy claims under ERISA and union trust fund actions.
- Federal: Managed the full docket of federal cases for 16.5 years.
- Insurance: bad faith, coverage, property damage, reinsurance, subrogation suits, and related disputes under a wide variety of insurance policies.
- Intellectual Property: settled a $10 million dollar trademark dispute; settled numerous patent cases involving high-tech and low-tech patents; settled trademark cases involving names, logos, packaging, and a full range of copyright infringement cases.
- Professional Liability: accountant, architect, directors/officers and legal malpractice claims and fee disputes.
- Real Property: settled a number of breach of contract, construction defect and real estate partnership breakups.
- Securities: settled a major securities fraud action for $28 million involving numerous parties and insurance companies, settled 10b-5 class actions, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, stock options backdating, and stockholder derivative actions and was an active securities law litigator.
- Special Master: created the methodology and settled over 400 cases in a Truth in Lending multidistrict litigation (MDL) case and settled a 20-party receivership involving numerous claims including Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and U.S. Department of Labor litigation.
- Training/Teaching: longtime member of the Federal Judicial Center where he lectured and trained hundreds of federal judges in mediation skills, and he is a regular speaker at local and national bar association programs on mediation and settlement skills.