Diversity in International Arbitration: The Intersection of Race and Gender – building on the future by learning from the past Co-organized by JAMS and ArbitralWomen
June 9, 2021 – 8:00 AM PT / 11:00 AM ET / 4:00 PM London / 7:00 PM Dubai
Organizations are considering what business life will be like after restrictions are lifted, and as discussed in the webinar Progress in Times of COVID the panel deliberated on concerns that have emerged about the impact that COVID has had on opportunities for women in arbitration. In this webinar the intersection of race and gender will be explored. While there is a growing concern that the post COVID business environment will be even more challenging for this already stigmatized group, the focus of this discussion will be on the opportunities that the post-COVID environment can provide: how to build on learning from the past and extract maximum benefit to build and maintain momentum for the future - because if not now…when?
There will be two panel discussions that will explore:
- How to ensure that women from a culturally diverse background continue to take advantage of the opportunities and ‘creative’ solutions that have emerged
- Arbitration practice of the future – why this and why now?
- Diversity is more than race and gender
- Experience, navigating through and succeeding in established legal structures/environments
- How to shape and inform an approach as arbitrator/legal advisor/businessperson
- Managing expectation and challenging assumptions
- What concrete steps institutions, law firms and clients can take to build on the opportunities gained in this virtual year to increase representation in arbitration for women of color
Cecilia Azar Manzur, Partner, Galicia Abogados—Mexico City
Navneet Juty, Corporate VP, Assistant & General Counsel, AECOM – London
Sara Koleilat-Aranjo, Partner, Al Tamimi & Co. – Dubai
Yasmine Lahlou, Partner, Chaffetz Lindsey – New York
Emilia Onyema, Professor, SOAS University of London – London
Rose Rameau, Managing Partner, Rameau International Law – Washington, DC
JAMS Events and Webinars
JAMS events and webinars bring you timely topics in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), industry-leading speakers and stellar networking opportunities. Explore our full list of upcoming events and webinars.
About JAMS – Local Solutions. Global Reach.TM
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services worldwide. JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized, in-person, virtual and hybrid dispute resolution services through a combination of first class client service, the latest technology, top-notch facilities, and highly trained mediators and arbitrators. More information about JAMS is available on our About Us page, and you can connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook as well as our JAMS ADR blog.
CA and NY CLE credit will be provided.