Throughout her 30 year career in the insurance industry and as a litigator, Laura B. Frankel, Esq. developed a strong reputation as a skilled negotiator. Ms. Frankel joined JAMS after more than 15 years at CNA Insurance. During her time at CNA, she was involved in litigation management of complex, high exposure legal malpractice and other professional liability matters; coverage evaluation and litigation oversight; and trial roundtables. She participated in hundreds of mediations around the country.
Additionally, Ms. Frankel served as a business lead for legal malpractice actions arising out of intellectual property matters. She was frequently involved in the oversight of State Bar disciplinary proceedings and investigations pursued by the USPTO Office of Enrollment & Discipline.
Ms. Frankel also collaborated with counsel in handling disciplinary cases against judges and commissioners in matters before the California Commission on Judicial Performance.
Ms. Frankel has special expertise in professional liability issues, including complex, high-severity professional liability claims for lawyers and accounting professionals. During her law firm practice, she handled a range of civil litigation, with a focus on medical malpractice cases. She is recognized for her tenacious, collaborative and creative approach to problem solving. She has a keen understanding of how to assess risk on both sides.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Ms. Frankel has extensive experience in the resolution of complex disputes in the following areas:
- Insurance/Bad Faith
- Professional Liability
- Intellectual Property
- Personal Injury
- Products Liability
Representative Matters at CNA
- Cases alleging professional negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and other claims against attorneys and law firms arising out of personal injury, family law, trusts and estates, commercial litigation and business transactions in state and federal courts
- Malpractice action against accounting professionals arising from the alleged failure to detect embezzlement of millions of dollars from an Ohio credit union
- Cases brought by an Indian tribe alleging negligence, fraud and RICO violations in Florida state and federal courts
- Case brought by a national insurer against its former defense counsel claiming negligence, fraud and Chapter 93A claims arising out of the alleged mishandling of a $30 million construction litigation
- Malpractice action against an attorney for alleged negligence in prosecuting a high-exposure medical malpractice case involving severe permanent injury to a child
- High-profile defamation case in state court in Florida
- Tortious interference and civil conspiracy action arising out of a probate dispute and forged notarization of a will involving a $12 million estate
- Arbitration of a complex legal malpractice case arising out of the alleged mishandling of patent litigation
- Cases alleging negligence, intentional conduct and conspiracy arising out of alleged illegal tax shelters triggering protracted litigation with the IRS
- Rescission action involving an accountant’s professional liability insurance policy based on alleged material misrepresentations in the insured’s application
- Actions alleging malpractice and breach of contract against attorneys and law firms arising out of intellectual property matters including patent, trademark and copyright
- FDCPA claims against attorneys acting as debt collectors
- Counterfeit check scam cases against attorneys and banks
- State bar and OED disciplinary proceedings resulting in attorney suspension or disbarment
- Rescission and other coverage actions arising out of prior notice, misrepresentation in the application or intentional conduct
- Fee disputes brought as affirmative claims or counterclaims alleging excessive or improper billing