Hugh E. Hackney, Esq. is renowned among counsel for his expertise in arbitrating and mediating disputes, particularly those involving complex commercial matters and international litigants. He is highly regarded for resolving disputes arising out of the energy industry, having been involved in oil and gas arbitrations domestically and in numerous countries across Europe, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East.
His experience with complex matters and international venues gives him an understanding of how legal issues are handled differently in courts and arbitral forums across the globe. In addition to being a respected arbitrator, that insight makes him an effective mediator, as he’s able to give litigants a clear picture of how a case could proceed outside of settlement, regardless of jurisdiction. U.S.-based judicial officers also frequently appoint him to settle cases featuring cross-border parties.
A former litigation attorney who tried more than 200 cases during his 45-year career, Mr. Hackney chaired the international dispute resolution group of a large law firm. He is a member of the International Chamber of Commerce Commission on Arbitration, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the London Court of International Arbitration, the International Bar Association, and the Society of International Business Fellows. He is a certified mediator and arbitrator for the Committee for Public Resources on commercial and employment disputes.
On top of his arbitration and mediation practice, Mr. Hackney has participated as a U.S. delegate and speaker at symposia on various topics across the globe.
- Bad faith lending disputes, usury cases, and wrongful inducement to lend matters
- Commercial disputes involving theft of trade secrets and confidential information, breach of contract, non-compete and non-disclosure agreements, and solicitation of employees
- Dispute among board of directors of faith-based organization over efforts to remove individual for violating religious law
- Disputes arising from alleged violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, tortious interference with contract, and other business torts
- Matters involving fraud and asset recovery in large loan cases involving office buildings, construction, oil and gas operations, large ranches, and agricultural operations related to national and international banks
- Matters involving national and global corporations in all issues involving labor and employment law, including negotiation of collective bargaining agreements with American and international trade unions
- Resolved cases involving claims for wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination, and wage and hour violation
- Mediated a dispute involving the payment for the sale of an oil field/pipeline maintenance company and executive compensation related to same
- Arbitrated a case involving the fraudulent sale of a fracking/horizontal drilling process and the attorneys fees related to processing the customers claims against a major oil field servicing company
- Extensive experience arbitrating and mediating energy industry disputes, including those involving oil and gas, power plants, and alternative energy sources
- For a comprehensive overview of Mr. Hackney’s experience, please visit his Energy/Utility specialty biography
- Contract and labor disputes between professional athletes and agents, sports franchises, and vendors
- Handled film industry disputes involving producers, actors, and investors over contracts, bankruptcies, literary rights, insurance, and international distribution
- Family Law
- Family law matters related to high-wealth individuals
- Numerous actions involving insurance companies in first and third party insurance litigation in a variety of different types of policies, including CGL, D&O, fidelity, construction, motor vehicle, commercial tracking, and errors and omissions policies
- Matters involving national insurance companies and plan administrators in employee benefit and fiduciary duty litigation under ERISA
- Mediated a dispute involving ownership of a Middle East energy related company among parties from Lebanon, Kuwait, India and the United States
- Mediated a dispute involving the aerospace industry between a Russia aircraft leasing corporation and a Middle Eastern aerospace company over sale and leasing of aircraft
- Mediated a case involving the theft of technology between an American/Chinese owned company and a German corporation
- International matters related to oil and gas, repatriation of properties, distribution agreements, contract disputes, construction issues, and sales contracts
- Mediated dispute involving return of properties following foreign government expropriation
- Native American Law
- Disputes involving Native American Nations in negotiation of agreements involving contract issues, gaming licenses, and representation before governmental agencies