Amb. (Ret.) David Huebner, C.Arb joins JAMS following 25 years of arbitration and intellectual property practice. He has handled more than 200 arbitrations in the United States and three dozen jurisdictions around the world as neutral or advocate, and has particular expertise in the technology (including semiconductors, hardware, software, haptics, materials, AI, internet, and gaming), life sciences (including pharma, biotech, clinical trials, medical devices, and healthcare), telecom, and entertainment sectors, as well as in energy, infrastructure, construction, and investment disputes.
Most recently, Ambassador Huebner served as a partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s arbitration practice. Previously, he served as the American Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, chairman & CEO of Coudert Brothers LLP, founding chief representative of an AmLaw 100 law firm in Shanghai, and special IPR policy assistant to a member of the National Diet of Japan in Tokyo. In 2016, President Obama appointed him as one of the four American designees to the panel of arbitrators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes. He is a graduate of Princeton University (summa cum laude) and Yale Law School.
Ambassador Huebner is a Chartered Arbitrator and Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators, Distinguished Fellow of the Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law, and is on the panels of arbitrators of the principal international and regional arbitral institutions (including ICSID). He is consistenly included on the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center's Tech List of the "world's most accomplished technology neutrals." He chaired the California Law Revision Commission as an appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger. He has taught intellectual property law and policy, international business transactions, and arbitration at universities in China, Germany, New Zealand, and the U.S.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Handled more than 200 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world
- Particular expertise in investment, finance, intellectual property, life sciences, media, telecom/internet, energy, construction, and infrastructure disputes
- Member of the Bars of CA, NY and DC and a licensed solicitor in England & Wales
The following is a representative selection of arbitration matters previously handled by Ambassador Huebner:
- Sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator, and mediator in several large arbitrations involving patent infringement claims, inventorship, development agreement terms and performance, and/or joint venture terms in the optics, materials, and handheld device sectors.
- Sole arbitrator in large e-commerce dispute over ownership of certain electronic equipment.
- Sole arbitrator in large dispute between a leading multinational media company and joint venture partners over digital exhibition.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over validity and licensing of patents in telecommunications devices.
- Handled more than a dozen multi-million-dollar disputes arising from licensing or validity of software, hardware, semiconductor, switching, internet tool, and interface patents.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between a telecommunications company and a state entity over patent use and validity.
- Patent disputes and corporate work involving early generation genetically modified foodstuffs, including hybrids engineered for hardiness, shelf life, and/or taste enhancement
- Party-appointed arbitrator in large pharmaceutical dispute involving clinical trials overseas.
- Sole arbitrator in multiple cases involving healthcare finance and accounting.
- Handled two multi-million-dollar disputes between a large pharmaceutical company and state entities over patent validity, compound ownership, and government expropriation issues.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar disputes between pharmaceutical companies over patent licensing and ownership issues, clinical trials, biotech therapeutics and diagnostics, and health tech.
- Handled several large disputes over patent validity and licensing in the medical devices sector.
- Handled large disputes over non-compete and nondisclosure clauses in executive employment contracts.
- Arbitrated payor-payee reimbursement disputes involving hospitals, insurance plans, healthcare networks pursuant to contract rates for healthcare services provided to patients who are members of Respondents' health plans, giving rise to claims including for breach of contract and the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing
- Sole arbitrator in large multiparty dispute in health care finance sector.
- Sole arbitrator in complex dispute over individual and corporate provider reimbursement, accounting, and coverage.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar coverage disputes involving numerous individual claims.
- Handled disputes involving issues of reinsurance, policy limits, and denial of coverage.
- Presiding arbitrator and mediator in multiple multi-million-dollar music licensing disputes.
- Sole arbitrator in multi-million-dollar film production company acquisition dispute.
- Sole arbitrator in a large media project development dispute between two entertainment companies.
- Sole arbitrator in a multi-million-dollar cross-border film licensing dispute.
- Handled multiple film development, distribution, and joint venture disputes.
- Handled two large disputes over media library ownership and sale.
- Handled several film and television-related copyright disputes.
- Arbitrator multi-million-dollar distribution agreement dispute in the consumer products sector.
- Handled multiple cases arising under the Convention on the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Handled large leasing dispute in commercial real estate sector.
- Handled several leasing disputes in aviation sector.
- Handled multiple cross-border joint venture and project development disputes.
- Handled numerous RICO cases involving Fortune 500 companies.
- Party-appointed arbitrator in large oil sector dispute in East Asia.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over natural resource extraction and power generation project.
- Handled large dispute arising from a long-term oil concession agreement with a state entity.
- Handled large dispute over construction defects in a cogeneration facility.
- Handled disputes arising from production and sale of metallurgical coke.
- Handled large dispute involving construction defects and accounting in hospitality sector.
- Investment Dispute Panel of Arbitrators, Beijing Arbitration Commission/Beijing International Arbitration Center, 2020
- Member, CPR Distinguished Neutrals, International and Technology Panels
- Trustee, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2020-present
- Admitted to the Bars of California, New York, and the District of Columbia
- Admitted as a Solicitor in England & Wales
- Distinguished Fellow, Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- London-based Chartered Institute of Arbitrators' Trustee for the Americas Region (Western Hemisphere)
- Former Chair, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Southern California Chapter
- Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Life member, Council on Foreign Relations
- Member, board of directors of Pacific Council on International Policy
- Member, advisory board of Swiss International Law School
- Member, advisory board of Franklin Delano Roosevelt Center for Global Engagement
- Member, founders’ council of UCLA Williams Institute
- Member, advisory board of USC ADR Center
- Former Chair, California Law Revision Commission, Appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger
- Listed on various international arbitration and intellectual property top practitioner lists
- Frequent lecturer before professional organizations on international arbitration, international law and policy, dispute resolution, intellectual property, international business transactions, entrepreneurship, and litigation risk
- Named to the Silicon Valley Arbitration and Mediation Center’s 2018 List of the World's Leading Technology Neutrals
- Partner, Arnold & Porter LLP, Los Angeles, 2014-2016
- US Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, 2009-2014
- Partner, Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP, Shanghai & Los Angeles, 2005–2009
- Founding managing partner of Shanghai office
- Head of China Practice; Head of International Disputes Practice
- Partner, Coudert Brothers LLP, Los Angeles and other locations, 1992–2005 (Partner from 1995)
- Chairman & CEO of the Firm; member of the global Executive Board
- Associate, Irell & Manella, Los Angeles, 1987–1992
- Office of the Hon. Koji Kakizawa, Tokyo, 1984–1985
- Special assistant to member of Japan’s National Diet (and later Foreign Minister of Japan)
- JD, Yale Law School, 1986
- Editor-in-chief, Yale Journal on Regulation
- Henry Luce Scholar
- AB, summa cum laude, Princeton University, 1982
- Majored at the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs
- Phi Beta Kappa; David Lawrence Scholar
- Cybersecurity & Privacy
- Entertainment & Sports
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Life Sciences
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More