Amb. (Ret.) David Huebner, C.Arb
joins JAMS following 25 years of arbitration and intellectual property practice. He has handled more than 120 arbitrations in the United States and three dozen jurisdictions around the world as neutral or advocate, and has particular expertise in the technology (including semiconductors, hardware, software, haptics, materials, AI, internet, and gaming), life sciences (including pharma, biotech, clinical trials, medical devices, and healthcare), telecom, and entertainment sectors, as well as in energy, infrastructure, construction, and investment disputes.
Most recently, Ambassador Huebner served as a partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s arbitration practice. Previously, he served as the American Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa, chairman & CEO of Coudert Brothers LLP, founding chief representative of an AmLaw 100 law firm in Shanghai, and special policy assistant to a member of the National Diet of Japan in Tokyo. In 2016, President Obama appointed him as one of the four American designees to the panel of arbitrators of the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes. He is a graduate of Princeton University (summa cum laude) and Yale Law School.
Ambassador Huebner is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Distinguished Fellow of the Auckland University of Technology’s Faculty of Business and Law, member of the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, and life member of the Council on Foreign Relations. He chaired the California Law Revision Commission as an appointee of both Governors Davis and Schwarzenegger. He has taught law and policy, intellectual property, and dispute resolution at universities in China, Germany, New Zealand, and the U.S.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Handled more than 120 arbitrations in three dozen jurisdictions around the world
- Particular expertise in investment, finance, intellectual property, life sciences, media, telecom/internet, energy, construction, and infrastructure disputes
- Member of the Bars of CA, NY and DC and a licensed solicitor in England & Wales
The following is a representative selection of arbitration matters previously handled by Ambassador Huebner:
- Sole arbitrator in large e-commerce dispute over ownership of certain electronic equipment.
- Sole arbitrator in large dispute between a leading multinational media company and joint venture partners over digital exhibition.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over validity and licensing of patents in telecommunications devices.
- Handled more than a dozen multi-million-dollar disputes arising from licensing or validity of software, hardware, semiconductor, switching, internet tool, and interface patents.
- Handled multi-million-dollar dispute between a telecommunications company and a state entity over patent use and validity.
- Handled two multi-million-dollar disputes between a large pharmaceutical company and state entities over patent validity, compound ownership, and government expropriation issues.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar disputes between pharmaceutical companies over patent licensing and ownership issues, clinical trials, biotech therapeutics and diagnostics, and health tech.
- Handled several large disputes over patent validity and licensing in the medical devices sector.
- Handled large disputes over non-compete and nondisclosure clauses in executive employment contracts.
- Sole arbitrator in large multiparty dispute in health care finance sector.
- Sole arbitrator in complex dispute over individual and corporate provider reimbursement, accounting, and coverage.
- Handled several multi-million-dollar coverage disputes involving numerous individual claims.
- Handled disputes involving issues of reinsurance, policy limits, and denial of coverage.
- Sole arbitrator in multi-million-dollar film production company acquisition dispute.
- Sole arbitrator in a large media project development dispute between two entertainment companies.
- Sole arbitrator in a multi-million-dollar cross-border film licensing dispute.
- Handled multiple film development, distribution, and joint venture disputes.
- Handled two large disputes over media library ownership and sale.
- Handled several film and television-related copyright disputes.
- Arbitrator multi-million-dollar distribution agreement dispute in the consumer products sector.
- Handled multiple cases arising under the Convention on the International Sale of Goods (CISG).
- Handled large leasing dispute in commercial real estate sector.
- Handled several leasing disputes in aviation sector.
- Handled multiple cross-border joint venture and project development disputes.
- Handled numerous RICO cases involving Fortune 500 companies.
- Handled multi-billion-dollar dispute over natural resource extraction and power generation project.
- Handled large dispute arising from a long-term oil concession agreement with a state entity.
- Handled large dispute over construction defects in a cogeneration facility.
- Handled disputes arising from production and sale of metallurgical coke.
- Handled large dispute involving construction defects and accounting in hospitality sector.