Hon. James V. Ryan (Ret.)
is a highly skilled mediator and arbitrator who has successfully resolved thousands of cases involving a broad variety of issues, including labor and employment, construction, personal injury, toxic tort, professional liability, products liability, workers’ compensation, commercial, franchise, insurance, real estate, landlord-tenant, and mediated discovery. Judge Ryan has been appointed to serve as a Master by both the federal and state court for purposes of fact-finding, discovery oversight, and settlement facilitation. He has authored a guide to mediation and arbitration practice and has served as an instructor in numerous seminars on mediation and arbitration, case management, and ethics.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Full-time mediator, arbitrator, and instructor in mediation, arbitration, and negotiation skills since 1992
- Administrative Judge with the Massachusetts Department of Industrial Accidents from 1986 to 1992
- Served as Special Master for discovery and settlement of mass tort claims involving asbestos-related personal injury or property damage pending before the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts and the Massachusetts Superior Court
- Designated as Director of Professional Services with oversight responsibility for several national dispute resolution programs administered by JAMS
- Judge Ryan has successfully mediated and arbitrated hundreds of personal injury cases involving claims of products liability, medical malpractice, toxic torts, premises liability, wrongful death, workers' compensation, FELA, maritime, and motor vehicle torts
- As a mediator and arbitrator, Judge Ryan has also resolved numerous other tort claims including legal malpractice, negligence by brokers and agents, professional errors and omissions, intentional and negligent misrepresentation, commercial torts, and unfair trade practices
- Judge Ryan has extensive experience in the resolution of labor and employment disputes. He has mediated and arbitrated claims of wrongful termination, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, FMLA, civil rights violations, ERISA, breach of contract, covenants of non-competition and non-solicitation, theft of trade secrets, defamation, and wage and hour violations.
- Judge Ryan has also served as a mediator or arbitrator in numerous construction disputes between owners, design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and their insurers involving claims of deficient designs, specifications, shop drawings and submittals, poor workmanship, breach of warranty, wrongful termination, abandonment, acceleration and delay damages, scope of work, change orders and extras, undisclosed subsurface conditions, and defaults in payment and performance bonds
- Judge Ryan has successfully resolved many commercial and business disputes. He has mediated and arbitrated numerous franchise disputes including cases involving terminations, challenges to add points and relocations, advertising and facilities disputes, and manufacturer charge-backs. He has mediated and arbitrated disputes arising out of the dissolution of closely held family businesses. He is highly experienced in resolving insurance subrogation and coverage, public accommodation, real estate, landlord and tenant, and other commercial disputes.