Joyce B. Klemmer, Esq. joins JAMS following a successful career spanning more than three decades in intellectual property litigation. Ms. Klemmer has effectively resolved hundreds of cases in the areas of copyright, patent and trademark infringement, trade secrets and related commercial disputes involving contracts and licenses. She has argued in the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals and the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
In addition to her litigation skills, Ms. Klemmer is known for her commitment to and creativity in settling disputes both as an advocate and a neutral. She is a member of the International Trademark Association’s Panel of Trademark Mediators and a board member of the Atlanta International Arbitration Society as well as the Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property sections of the Atlanta Bar Association.
Ms. Klemmer regularly writes and lectures on a variety of topics related to intellectual property law and alternative dispute resolution and stays active in the Georgia legal community through leadership positions representative of her global intellectual property experience.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- More than 30 years of experience as an intellectual property litigator
- Evaluated and settled hundreds of complex intellectual property cases as a litigator and neutral
- Registered mediator and arbitrator with the State of Georgia
- Trained at Pepperdine University, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution
- Cases involving infringement of federally registered trademarks
- Managed the worldwide trademark portfolio of an international sports surfacing manufacturer for over 20 years and the trademark portfolio of an infant specialty company for over 10 years
- Case alleging breach of a software license and copyright infringement, under Canadian and U.S. laws, and whether transfer of the avionics software in issue transferred rights in preexisting software programs
- Copyright cases involving music licensing and infringement, literary rights, rights in computer programs, photography, advertising copy and jewelry designs
- Patent infringement cases involving various kinds of technology, including poultry processing machines, poultry transportation systems, laminated flooring, an airline ticketing seat selection system, simulated firearms training systems, products for the reinforcement of poured concrete, infant monitoring systems and wood pulp processing equipment
- Misappropriation of trade secrets cases involving veterinary biologics, manufacturing processes for bending glass and confidential business marketing plans
- Misappropriation of trade secrets cases and Computer Fraud and Abuse Act cases involving business records and customer lists
- Represented a major radar manufacturer/defense contractor against allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets in a case that implicated the U.S. government and the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations
- International matter involving Italian and Brazilian corporations with well-established rights for the same trademark in their respective countries; the litigation focused on U.S. rights
- Numerous international matters for Dutch, Danish, Italian, German and French clients