Hon. Ann Kough (Ret.) most recently served in the Los Angeles County Superior Court as one of seven complex litigation judges and earned a reputation for fairness, efficiency, and thoroughness in handling the most difficult and contentious cases.
Since joining JAMS, Judge Kough has arbitrated a wide range of disputes that span a broad spectrum of legal issues across several industries. She is able to draw on her experience to craft fair and well-reasoned awards.
Judge Kough is also an experienced special master and discovery referee who brings in-depth and hands-on knowledge to managing cases and is able to provide litigators, their clients, and the courts with the expertise needed to quickly and efficiently resolve cases.
- Experienced handling arbitrations in wide variety of industries and practice areas
- Arbitrator on dozens of disputes involving business and commercial matters, including breach of contract, fee dispute, consumer, partnership dissolution, and other issues
- Construction Defect
- Arbitrated construction defect matter involving 100 homeowner claimants in residential development
- Arbitrator on dispute involving individual suing former employer for retaliation after being terminated for allegedly refusing to engage in several unsafe practices
- Arbitrated discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination disputes between individuals and former employers
- Dispute between doctors over contract to develop sleep disorder treatment clinics
- Experience as discovery referee and trial judge on variety of environmental issues, including contaminated groundwater, toxic torts, asbestos, mold, compliance with environmental laws regarding cigar smoke, and transportation, loading, and storage of coal products
- Health Care
- Arbitrator and discovery referee on health care matters that include issues such as insurance coverage, hospital reimbursement, doctor partnership dissolution, and sale of medical equipment and facilities
- Referee on commercial insurance dispute involving bad faith claim
- Experience as trial judge on complex insurance cases stemming from 1994 Northridge earthquake
- Personal Injury
- Arbitrator for dispute involving claims of alleged injury-causing hazardous conditions at Native American tribal casino
- Professional Liability
- Arbitrated malpractice claims filed against law firm
- Medical malpractice arbitrations involving large health care provider
- Special Master/Discovery Referee
- Business interference matters involving several large competing shopping centers with e-discovery issues such as metadata, search parameters, shadow hard drives, computer experts, and allocation of costs
- Experienced with court reference matters that have included product liability, construction, real estate, environmental, entertainment, and general business issues