JAMS Signs Pledge to Encourage Equal Representation for Women in International Arbitration
July 07, 2016
IRVINE – JAMS, the largest private provider of mediation and arbitration services worldwide, is proud to announce a commitment to improving the representation of women in international arbitration. The organization has become one of the first major American ADR providers to sign the Equal Representation in Arbitration Pledge and will continue taking steps to ensure women are appointed as arbitrators on an equal opportunity basis.
JAMS, along with other signatories, has committed to the following activities to improve the profile and representation of women on international arbitral panels. The pledge encourages:
- All committees, governing bodies and conference panels in the field of arbitration include a fair representation of women;
- Lists of potential arbitrators or tribunal chairs provided to or considered by parties, counsel, in-house counsel or otherwise include a fair representation of female candidates;
- States, arbitral institutions and national committees include a fair representation of female candidates on rosters and lists of potential arbitrator appointees, where maintained by them;
- Gender statistics for appointments (split by party and other appointment) are collated and made publicly available; and
- Senior and experienced arbitration practitioners support, mentor/sponsor and encourage women to pursue arbitrator appointments and otherwise enhance their profiles and practice.
“JAMS is proud to sign and lend our support to this pledge,” said Chris Poole, JAMS president and CEO. “It’s an important cause and one we have championed for many years. We hope to work with our clients to make sure women are equally represented and utilized in as many matters as possible.”
The pledge has already been signed by more than 1,000 organizations and individuals, with additional signatories coming from all parts of the world every day. To learn more about the pledge, go to arbitrationpledge.com.
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of mediation and arbitration services worldwide. With Resolution Centers nationwide and abroad, JAMS and its more than 300 exclusive neutrals are responsible for resolving thousands of the world’s important cases. JAMS may be reached at 800-352-5267.