N. Damali Peterman, Esq., joins JAMS as a distinguished conflict resolution expert, neutral and problem solver. With over 20 years of ADR experience working as a mediator, conflict resolution trainer, ADR entrepreneur and corporate transactional lawyer in private and in-house practice, Ms. Peterman is renowned for her innovative and engaging ways to help companies, institutions, nonprofits, government agencies and individuals prevent, manage and resolve conflict.
Throughout her career, Ms. Peterman has been active in many different areas of conflict resolution, including as a mediator in breach of contract, commercial, employment/EEOC, intellectual property, family and housing disputes. She has worked across a broad swath of industries, including banking, utilities, telecommunications, entertainment, food and beverage, and retail. Ms. Peterman empowers her clients by instilling a sense of agency and self-determination during their disputes. Counsel often comment on her ability to find a path to resolution even when there appears to be no viable solutions.
Prior to joining JAMS, Ms. Peterman founded Breakthrough ADR, a global conflict resolution firm that helps organizations resolve conflict and teaches people how to listen, negotiate and resolve everyday situations in the workplace and beyond. Through Breakthrough ADR, she routinely addresses acute and chronic inter- and intra-company conflict and provides conflict resolution/mediation training and conflict coaching to thousands of individuals and companies.
Prior to Breakthrough ADR, Ms. Peterman founded a law firm focusing on corporate and other business transactions. Previously, she was an assistant general counsel at Deloitte LLP and an associate at the global law firm Weil, Gotshal & Manges. At both of these institutions, Ms. Peterman focused on corporate transactions, including deal structuring and contract negotiations.
Ms. Peterman believes that, in addition to enabling positive business changes, ADR is critical to empowering positive social change. To this end, through Breakthrough ADR and community organizations, she has been privileged to train hundreds of law enforcement officers in New York City and elsewhere in ADR-based techniques for de-escalation and resolving conflict without the use of force. Ms. Peterman relishes seeing the breakthrough moments that these officers routinely have as they progress through training and learn new techniques to help navigate conflict.
Ms. Peterman travels globally to teach workshops in negotiation and mediation and to judge mediation competitions. She also virtually teaches students, educators and other professionals across the world. Ms. Peterman is a highly sought after speaker, and she has been featured on various television networks and in many magazines and newspapers.
Ms. Peterman obtained her J.D. from Howard University School of Law, her M.A. in international policy studies/conflict resolution from Middlebury Institute of International Studies and her B.A. from Spelman College.
Ms. Peterman is fluent in Spanish; is conversational in Japanese and has limited language skills in Mandarin Chinese, Russian, Portuguese and Dutch. She has traveled extensively throughout five continents.
Ms. Peterman has handled a wide range of corporate and business/commercial matters as a neutral and as counsel, including mergers and acquisitions, strategic alliances, corporate finance, fairness opinions, business combinations, restructuring deals, joint ventures, licensing and real estate transactions.
- Mediated multiple commercial disputes across a variety of industries
- Mediated multiple cases between co-founders, boards of directors and management
- Mediated cases between general contractors and subcontractors regarding breach of contract
- Mediated multiple cases between employees with respect to separation of employment, harassment, discrimination, relocation, etc.
- Mediated multiple cases between high-net-worth family members regarding elder care and financial planning
- Mediated commercial and residential real estate transactions and disputes
- Represented the client in connection with the acquisition of a major snack company in a cross-border transaction
- Represented the client in the sale of auto parts castings businesses in a cross-border transaction
- Represented the client in the acquisition of wind power farms
- Represented financial advisor to the board of directors in a $1.3-billion acquisition
- Represented financial advisor to the board of directors in its $661 million acquisition
- Represented financial advisor to the special committee of the board of directors in a $24.4-billion going-private acquisition
- Represented the client in drafting, negotiating and amending co-venture and licensing agreements with major beauty brands
- Represented the client with its senior notes offering
- Represented the client in connection with financial guaranty insurance restructuring