Linda R. Singer, Esq.
, a nationally-known neutral, has over 30 years of dispute resolution experience as an arbitrator, mediator, civil litigator, and a neutral evaluator. She served as a special master to the U.S. District Court, S.D.N.Y., and has been appointed as a mediator by numerous federal and state courts. Ms. Singer pioneered the development of mediation as a practice, training fellow mediators and lawyers throughout the United States, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand. She has designed ADR processes for private companies, court systems, and government agencies.
Ms. Singer has resolved thousands of matters in all types of civil litigation, including complex commercial, securities fraud, high-tech, insurance coverage, bankruptcy, products liability, antitrust, employment, civil rights, international, and environmental. Many of these complex, multi-party and class action cases have involved aggregate values in the hundreds of millions. She is described by attorneys who bring cases to her as “calm, tenacious, practical, and intelligent, with a talent for settling cases that no one else can”.
- Complex Employment, Collective and Class Actions: numerous FSLA and state collective actions involving wage and hour claims; consumer class actions alleging illegal credit reporting, bank or credit card fees, overcharging, or deceptive sales practices; complex ERISA actions involving change of control and severance packages; and Title VII and state law class and multiple plaintiff actions involving claims of discrimination (race, religion, gender, and disability) and retaliation between employees and a variety of private and public defendants
- Settled eight year-old race discrimination class action against Merrill Lynch and held hearings to distribute the settlement fund amongst class members
- Resolved multi-million dollar severance claims by eleven executives under ERISA, asserting a change in control upon sales of business units
- Settled a range of whistleblower, executive compensation and non-compete claims
- High-tech and Intellectual Property: electronic marketplace disputes brought by consumers, vendors, and distributors, involving confidential information and trade secrets, competitive technologies, and antitrust allegations
- Arbitrated putative anti-trust consumer class actions over alleged anti-competitive conduct by telecommunications companies
- Mediated claims of defamation against the media and employers
- Served as Panel Chair in an arbitration concerning an internet advertising agreement among Fortune 500 high-tech firms
- International: large dollar value trans-border contract disputes involving American and non-American companies
- Settled federal court case between U.S. chemical supplier and Pakistani pharmaceuticals manufacturer involving conflicts between U.S. and Pakistani law
- Settled claims of misappropriation of trade secrets and violations of Spanish patents between French and Spanish pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors and American parent company
- Resolved post-arbitration dispute over payment of a multi-million dollar liability among French and American manufacturers, insurers, and re-insurers
- Business and Commercial: contract, valuation, partnership dissolutions, buyouts, real property, construction defect, debt restructuring, finance, shareholder disputes, and other corporate governance issues
- Settled tax refund class action against a major hospital system
- Resolved claims between minority shareholder and board of directors of privately held world-wide corporation regarding liquidation of shares
- Settled class action for securities fraud involving the purchase of multiple family businesses
- Settled redlining discrimination claims brought by five civil rights organizations and individual parties against a major insurance company
- Environmental: multi-party disputes under CERCLA concerning the allocation of responsibility for hazardous waste removal; damages to natural resources, clean air, and water; public disputes over land use
- Settled dispute involving more than 200 private parties, local municipalities, and federal and state enforcement agencies, over the allocation of liability for past costs and ongoing operation and maintenance of the Kramer Landfill in New Jersey
- Settled dispute over reopeners concerning the New Bedford Harbor in Massachusetts