David Stewart is an independent neutral third party, accepting appointments as arbitrator, mediator, dispute board member, and adjudicator. Mr. Stewart brings a real depth of knowledge in a range of industries inducing Financial Services, Off Shore Investments, Sports and Entertainment, and Technology. David has 25 years of experience as a lawyer specializing in dispute resolution, and is passionately committed to providing a practical, proactive, cost-effective, and prompt service.
Since qualifying in the UK in 1989, David has worked on disputes involving parties from all over the world, and in particular Kuwait, the Lebanon, Malawi, Nigeria, Bermuda, Jersey, Guernsey, BVI, Cayman, Turks and Caicos Islands, Sweden, Norway, and the United States. He has resolved disputes across a broad range of industries and cultures.
- Financial Services, Off Shore Investing, Trust Litigation and Advisory Work
- Numerous contentious and advisory matters involving offshore trusts, Lichtenstein Foundations, including claims against Trustees, and setting up and organizing the affairs of multi-national UHNW families and their businesses
- Advising on compliance with US and UK FATCA, and the C.R.S.
- Commercial Disputes
- CEDR mediation as party representative in a dispute between joint venture parties in the automotive industry
- CEDR mediation as party representative involving warranty claims arising out of an acquisition in the life sciences industry
- CEDR mediation as party representative in a major claim for damages (one of 2010’s “The Lawyer’s Top 10 cases”) arising out of a failed acquisition in the construction industry
- Large claim for fraud arising out of the Kuwait shipping industry involving claims of US$150 million plus
- ICC arbitration as lead advocate in relation to claims for damages in excess of US$300K relating to the sale of an international catering company
- Related proceedings in the Lebanon, France, Lichtenstein, and Holland
- Sports, Gambling, Media, and Telecoms
- Standing disputes Counsel to governing body of international sport
- ICC arbitration over media rights and ambush marketing in relation to a global sports event, acting as party advocate
- Acting in various disciplinary matters for the governing body of two global sports organizations
- Acting as party advocate in substantial LCIA arbitration in relation to a mobile telephone business in Nigeria
- Acting for numerous media organizations in film financing, production, and distribution disputes
- Acting for a global media organization in relation to internal and external investigations arising from a variety of claims
- Acting for UK bookmakers in regulatory and licensing matters
- Acting for a large global airline in relation to challenges from the Advertising Standards Authority over a major publicity campaign
- Acting in ad hoc arbitration in a dispute over a substantial software contract
- Acting for a major California technology company in managing claims in various European countries arising from a major acquisition