has almost 25 years of dispute resolution experience and has handled hundreds of cases as counsel, arbitrator, mediator, and expert determiner. Joe is Co-Head of International Arbitration and ADR at leading Spanish and Latin American firm, Garrigues.
Prior to joining Garrigues, Joe was also a partner and Global Co-Chair of International Arbitration at Winston & Strawn LLP from 2012 to 2016. Prior to that, Joe was partner and Head/Co-Head of International Arbitration and ADR at Norton Rose LLP (now Norton Rose Fulbright LLP) from 2007 to 2012. He was also partner and senior associate at Baker Botts LLP. Joe was an associate at Lovells (now Hogan Lovells LLP), and DLA (now DLA Piper LLP) having trained at Boodle Hatfield.
He has been involved in a wide variety of contested matters in the UK and over 45 other countries, in particular in Spain, Latin America, India, and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS).
Joe has handled high value cases in a number of sectors and industries including banking and finance; commodities; construction and engineering; energy (oil & gas, renewable, and power generation); food and beverage; information and communication technology (ICT); mining; petrochemical; pharmaceutical; professional services; sport; transport (automobile, aviation and shipping), and travel.
Joe has also conducted and advised on international commercial and investment arbitration under all the major international arbitration rules before the leading international arbitration institutions as well as “pure” ad hoc
and UNCITRAL arbitration. He is a solicitor-advocate with full rights of audience before all civil courts, an accredited mediator and panel member of a number of leading arbitration and mediation panels.
Joe writes extensively and presents regularly on international arbitration and ADR at major international conferences, symposia, and seminars and prominent universities around the world. He is also actively involved in arbitral and mediation institutions and prestigious international arbitration and ADR associations and committees.
Joe is fluent in Spanish.
Experience as an Arbitrator:
- DIAC: Sole arbitrator: Dubai seated fuel transportation dispute in Central Asia.
- ICC: Sole arbitrator: Distribution agreement arbitration in London subject to the laws of Florida between a Middle Eastern company and a U.S. corporation.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$60 million arbitration seated in South America relating to the development of an iron and steel plant.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$25 million dispute relating to the delivery of industrial installations in Eastern Europe.
- ICC: Co-arbitrator: US$15 million dispute relating to alleged breaches of a European cross-border electricity supply agreement. The dispute is subject to Belgian law and the seat of the arbitration is Lugano, Switzerland.
- LCIA: Sole arbitrator: two arbitrations seated in London arising out of a restaurant franchise agreement and a lease for memorabilia.
- LCIA: Presiding arbitrator: US$10 million ship repair contract dispute between a European and Latin American parties.
- LCIA: Presiding arbitrator: Dispute relating to a hotel management agreement in the Middle East.
- SCC/ECT: Co-arbitrator: Stockholm seated arbitration involving Eastern-European parties in the electricity sector.
- UNCITRAL: Co-arbitrator: Scotland seated arbitration concerning alleged misrepresentation and breach of warranty under an oil services sale and purchase agreement, subject to Scottish law. Claim in excess of US$50 million.
- VIAC: Co-arbitrator: Vienna seated arbitration between an Eastern European and European parties concerning construction equipment supply contract.
- CEDR Mediator/Sole arbitrator: Dispute between UK and North American parties regarding unpaid fees for services rendered in connection with the development of video games.
Arbitrator Panel Member
- Beijing Arbitration Commission (BAC)
- CEDR Solve
- Energy Charter Treaty (ECT) Legal Advisory Task Force
- Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Hong Kong Islamic Arbitration Centre
- ICDR Energy Arbitrators’ List
- Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration (KLRCA)
- Madrid Court of Arbitration
- Ofgem Electricity Market Reform (OEMR) Panel of Neutrals
- Santiago Chamber of Arbitration and Mediation (CAM Santiago)
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Tehran Regional Arbitration Centre
- Vienna International Arbitration Centre (VIAC)
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
Representative Matters As Counsel
- Treaty arbitration
- ICSID/EFTA: Acting for a number of financial institutions in a potential multi-billion euros claim related to the collapse of the Icelandic banking system.
- ICSID/ECT: Advising a foreign investor in relation to an ECT claim in the region of US$250 million against a European sovereign nation. The claim arises from a number of legislative changes passed by the sovereign nation in respect of its incentive regime for the production of solar photovoltaic energy.
- ICSID/ICC/BIT: Acting for an international mining company in relation to potential ICSID/ICC contractual and bilateral investment treaty claims worth approximately US$500 million, regarding alleged breaches of project documentation and expropriation of the mining company’s investments in Asia.
- SCC/ECT: Representing a sovereign state in a multi-billion dollar Energy Charter Treaty claim in relation to the alleged expropriation of hydrocarbon assets.
- Commercial institutional arbitration
- AAA/UNCITRAL: Canning licence arbitration under the auspices of the AAA in London subject to New York law between an international beverage and food conglomerate and a Middle Eastern canner.
- ICC: US$2 billion power station construction arbitration in South America.
- ICC: Acting in London seated potential arbitration in a dispute between a European supplier and a Far East Asian party arising out of a US$220 million agreement for the supply of multi-crystalline silicon wafers for the manufacture of photovoltaic cells in solar panels.
- ICC/Mediation: Acting for an Asian supplier of wind turbines in a US$33 million London seated arbitration against a European contractor in relation to the supply of equipment.
- ICC/High Court: Acting in London seated arbitration and related High Court proceedings in a dispute between a European supplier and an Asian party arising out of a US$500 million agreement for the supply of multi-crystalline silicon wafers for the manufacture of photovoltaic cells in solar panels.
- ICC: Representing a Middle Eastern JV industrial gas supplier in a US$16 million arbitration and related High Court proceedings against a Middle Eastern iron and steel company for the non-payment of sums due under a gas supply agreement.
- ICC: Acting for a Nigerian-based company in a London seated arbitration against European entities in a dispute concerning the construction and operation of an integrated furniture manufacturing plant in West Africa.
- LCIA: Representing a Liechtenstein company in relation to two arbitrations in London concerning a multi-million dollar dispute arising under a shareholders' agreement in respect of aviation and property assets located in Eastern Europe.
- LCIA: Representing a European engineering company specializing in turnkey projects for installing and implementing solar power plants and wind farms in a London seated arbitration against an Asian counter-party in a US$20 million silicon long-term supply agreement dispute.
- LCIA: African drilling rig contract arbitration in London between a leading South African oil company and an Australian contractor.
- LCIA/High Court: Acting for a wealthy Eastern European oligarch in an arbitration and 22 related arbitrations and High Court action in connection with a joint venture to run a multibillion dollar mining consortium with production assets in Central Europe.
- LCIA: Acting for a leading Asian travel conglomerate in relation to a London seated arbitration in a claim worth in excess of US$30 million arising out of a distributor agreement for a computer reservation system.
- SCC/UNCITRAL: Gold mining joint venture arbitration in Stockholm under the auspices of the SCC between an Australian mining company and a Georgian mining company.
- Commercial ad hoc arbitration
- UNCITRAL: Acting for a US company in respect of a US$20 million dispute against a UK energy company in relation to a service agreement for the provision of seismic data acquisition services in North Africa.
- UNCITRAL: Indemnity claim arbitration in London between a U.S. multinational and an Asian oil company regarding a complex claim for the recovery of customs duties and fines in relation to the acquisition of a jack-up drilling rig in India.
- UNCITRAL: Production sharing contract arbitration in London subject to Indian law between an Indian oil and gas company and a state agency.
- UNCITRAL: Co-acting for North American car distributor in a US$100 million distribution agreement dispute with Asian manufacturer of motor vehicles.
- Ad hoc: Construction arbitration in London between an Indian independent power producer and a Japanese contractor regarding a 330-megawatt combined cycle power station in India.
- Ad hoc/Mediation: International tax dispute arbitration and mediation in London between a Panamanian company and an English company regarding the acquisition of a European subsidiary company.
- Ad hoc/Mediation: French land contamination insurance arbitration and mediation in London involving a Holland-based holding company insured and an English insurer.
- Ad hoc: Complex construction arbitration in London between a large international power company and an English contractor.
- Ad hoc: Large and complex construction arbitration in Santiago, Chile, subject to Chilean law between a multinational engineering company and Chilean state-owned construction company.
- Ad hoc: Engineering arbitration in London between an Italian electrical contractor and an English electrical company relating to the fitting out of a cruise liner.
- Ad hoc: Maritime arbitration in London between an English oil services company and Russian owners of a rig vessel located in South America.
- Ad hoc: Arbitration in London concerning a contract dispute between a Bermudan company and a Liberian company regarding the purchase of a jack-up rig in Central America.
Publications and Lectures
- Author of Chapter on “Cost and Funding of International Arbitration,” 100 Years Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Liber Amicorum, pending
- Contributing Editor of “Global Legal Insights to International Arbitration,” Global Legal Group, April 2015
- Co-author on “Yukos: The saga continues,” The Global Legal Post, 7 Oct. 2015
- Author on “India under Attack,” Economic Times of India, 18 Sept 2015
- Author on “ADR in Latin America: An overview,” IBA Mediation Newsletter, Aug 2015
- Co-author on “A convergence of attitudes in Latin America and beyond?” Global Arbitration Review, 11 Aug 2015
- Co-author on “Yukos: The saga continues”, Зеркало Недели or Mirror of the Week, 3 July 2015
- Co-author on “Rise of renewable energy claims,” Renewable Energy Focus, May/June 2015, Volume 16, Issue 3
- Author on “Renewable Energy Claims under the Energy Charter Treaty: An Overview,” Joint Oil, Gas & Energy Law (OGEL) and Transnational Dispute Management (TDM) Special Issue on Renewable Energy Disputes, OGEL 3 (2015), March 2015
- Author on “Dissenting Opinions in International Arbitration,” Legal Business Magazine, 4 February 2015
- Author on “During Gas Supply Renegotiations Angle For Arbitration,” Law360, February 2015
- Author on “Gas Price Renegotiation: A Sign of the Times,” CIS Arbitration Forum, February 2015
- Co-author on “Changes to the Legal Framework in Italy: A Threat to Investors in the Photovoltaic Sector”, Volume 15, Issue 2, Energy Law Report, February 2015
- Co-author on “Reasons to arbitrate IP cases,” Intellectual Property Magazine, December 2014/January 2015
- Speaker on “International arbitration in the energy sector,” Universidad Nacional and Universidad de los Andes international arbitration programme, Bogotá, Jan. 2016
- Speaker on “Discovery and document production in international arbitration,” Universidad Nacional and Universidad de los Andes international arbi+tration programme, Bogotá, Jan. 2016
- Moderator on panel discussion of “Corruption in international arbitration,” Kiev Arbitration Days, Kiev, Nov. 2015
- Member of Faculty, ICC PIDA International Arbitration Training Programme, Mumbai, Oct. 2015
- Speaker on “The Energy Charter Treaty” and “International Mediation,” 9th Dublin Forum on International Dispute Resolution, Dublin, Oct. 2015
- Speaker on “The Energy Charter Treaty,” The CIArb Ireland Centenary Conference: Advancing Dispute Avoidance and Resolution, Dublin Oct. 2015
- Speaker on “Arbitration Provisions in M&A Transaction Documents,” Winston & Strawn The Real Deal webinar series for M&A and Securities Professionals, London, Sept. 2015
- Speaker on “Investment treaty essentials in drafting and negotiation,” Africa International Legal Awareness (AILA) Investment Treaty Law and Arbitration Training Programme, London, Sept. 2015
- Moderator on “Litigation Finance & Funding: Business, Legal and Ethical Issues,” Legal ConfEx, London, Sept. 2015
- Speaker on “The Energy Charter Treaty,” ICC Mexico conference on Dispute Resolution in the International Energy Sector, Mexico City, Aug. 2015
- Speaker on “Investment Treaty Protection in Latin American,” Winston & Strawn Doing Business in Latin America client seminar series, Houston, August 2015
- Co-organizer of the inaugural Consensual Dispute Resolution Competition (CDRC), IBA-VIAC, Vienna, July 2015
- Speaker on “Arbitrating Oil & Gas Disputes under the Energy Charter Treaty,” 1st ICC Asia Regional International Arbitration Conference, Singapore, May 2015
- Speaker on “London as a Global International Arbitration Centre,” The City UK: “The future of dispute resolution in London resting on its laurels?” London, March 2015