Hon. Karen Brown Willcutts (Former)
combines over 25 years of experience as a trial lawyer, judge, mediator, and arbitrator with her efficient case management skills to effectively and efficiently resolve a wide range of civil litigation matters at JAMS. She is known for her ability to quickly grasp the issues in any legal matter, and is empathetic, persistent, creative, and hardworking.
As an arbitrator and special master, she strives to be well prepared, provide the parties with a full and fair hearing as expeditiously as possible and render a timely decision that is in accordance with the law and the evidence. As a mediator, she assists the parties in exploring every possible avenue to resolve their dispute.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Served as a mediator and arbitrator in numerous matters involving breach of contract, insurance coverage disputes, partnership dissolutions, violations of non-compete and non-solicitation clauses, embezzlement, civil theft, breach of fiduciary duty, consumer protection complaints, wrongful termination, employment discrimination, class action conspiracy to commit fraud, derivative actions, business torts, personal injury, environmental clean-up, and many others.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Appeals: Appeal of summary judgment granted by trial court in complex breach of contract case
- Business/Commercial: Building contractor sued concrete company for breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act, arising out of the sale of allegedly defective concrete
- Business/Commercial: Civil suit brought by the State of Texas against an individual for violations of the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and engaging in the unauthorized practice of law
- Employment: Negotiated settlement of arbitration proceeding brought by entertainment executive against his former employer in case involving claims in excess of $1 million
- Employment: Age discrimination and wrongful termination claim brought by security officer against defense contractor
- Environmental: Arbitrated to conclusion case involving a multi-million dollar claim for environmental clean-up costs by a purchaser of gasoline stations against a national oil company
- Finance: Dispute between homeowner and mortgage company arising out of the refinance of home equity loan
- Healthcare: Wrongful termination suit brought by healthcare worker against hospital
- Healthcare: Sole arbitrator in contract dispute between hospital and third party administrator
- Healthcare: Claim by hospital against insurance company for damages arising out of alleged underpayment of medical bills
- Insurance: Multi-million dollar class action brought by consumers/insureds against software companies and insurers claiming breach of contract, fraud, and conspiracy
- Insurance: Insurance company brought suit against former executive alleging conversion, civil theft, embezzlement, breach of fiduciary duty, tortuous interference with existing and prospective contracts, and unjust enrichment
- Real Property: Suit for damages and rescission by buyer against seller of home, realtor, real estate company, and inspection company alleging breach of contract, fraudulent inducement, and deceptive trade practices