Bradley A. Winters, Esq. joined JAMS in April 2019. Mr. Winters had a wide-ranging 40-year career as a litigator for some of the largest companies in the world and for individual consumers, in a giant international law firm and in a small boutique. Mr. Winters has tried and served as mediator in cases across the country ranging from complex biotech patents to simple personal injury litigation, as well as trademark, product liability, class action, civil rights, construction, breach of trust, labor and general commercial cases. He has served as a mediator for two decades and is on the "National Mediators" list of Chambers USA.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Mr. Winters has served as mediator in Missouri, Illinois, Colorado, New York and California in over 800 civil cases. He has extensive experience serving as mediator and arbitrator in the following areas:
- Personal Injury and Product Liability
- Intellectual Property
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Commercial Real Estate Development
- Trusts and Estates
- Healthcare billing and contracting
- Civil Rights
- Commercial disputes of all kinds between business owners/investors, vendors and customers, employers and employees, and competitors
- Patent and trademark cases involving fiber-optic technology, consumer products, industrial equipment, viral vectors, motorcycle designs, commercial lighting components and furniture designs
- A complex microbiology patent infringement case involving a technique for altering lentiviruses
- Represented Class I railroads in personal injury cases involving closed-head, repetitive-trauma, orthopedic, pulmonary, dermatological and hearing-loss injuries and cancers
- Construction and engineering cases involving soils, roofing, storm and underground water management, and HVAC systems
- Product liability cases involving chemical exposures, elevator falls, consumer products, railroad equipment, handguns, ATV/UTVs and asbestos
- Discrimination cases filed against a major professional sports franchise
- Lanham Act cases filed against consumer and industrial product manufacturers, an international motorcycle manufacturer and a regional cable television provider
- Class actions including cases involving U.S. and foreign automakers, national telecom providers, employers involved in allegedly unfair employment practices, municipalities alleged to have committed civil rights violations and statutory privacy protection.
- Represented one of the largest private real estate developers in the U.S. in construction, zoning, traffic and water management cases and trials in Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, West Virginia, New Mexico, California and Colorado
- Significant COVID testing billing dispute that raised Families First Coronavirus Response Act ("FFCRA") and Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act ("CARES Act") issues
Honors, Memberships, and Professional Activities
Honors, Memberships and Professional Activities
- Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS
- Included on "National Mediators" list, Chambers USA, 2023
- Distinguished Alumnus, Washington University School of Law
- Chairman, U.S. Magistrate Judge Merit Selection Panel, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2015
- St. Louis Men’s Group Against Cancer
- Best Lawyers in America®
- Martindale Hubbell® AV Preeminent
- Missouri Super Lawyers®
- Top Lawyers in St. Louis, St. Louis Magazine
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Winters is a frequent speaker at CLE and training programs across the country on legal ethics, trial techniques and other topics.
- The 48 Secret Rules of Lawyering
- And Good Luck to Both of You: Model Rule 1.8. Lawyers in Business With, and Doing Business With, Their Clients
- To Dream the Impossible Dream: Lawyers and Unwaivable Conflicts: A Primer on Conflicts Under the Model Rules of Professional Responsibility
- A Far, Far Better Thing: A Primer on Confidentiality Under the Model Rules of Professional Responsibility
- Effective Opening Statements
- Closing Argument as Theater
- You Bet Your License! An Ethical Game Show with Valuable Prizes and Horrifying Consequences
- From Hotmail to Hot Water: The High Cost of Free Email
- Building Your Career
- The Tao of Lawyering
- Welcome to the Bar
- The World’s Greatest Single Deposition Question
- Do as I Say, Not as I Did. An inventory of Rookie Lawyer Mistakes Worth Avoiding.
- New Tools for Cross-Examination
- A Dozen (or so) Things That Every Lawyer Should Know About the Rules of Professional Responsibility
- Hey, We Got Rules About Things Like That!
Background and Education
- Member, Arbitrator/Mediator and Trial Attorney; Sher Corwin Winters; St. Louis; 2012–2019
- Litigation Partner, SNR Dentons (n/k/a Dentons; f/k/a Sonnenschein, Nath & Rosenthal), St. Louis, 2000–2012
- Litigation Partner, Thompson Coburn (f/k/a Coburn, Croft & Putzell; f/k/a Thompson & Mitchell), St. Louis, 1981–2000
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, 1981
- Order of Barristers
- B.S., Business Administration, Trinity University, San Antonio, 1978
- "Your experience, understanding of the law, and exploration of the respective positions/interests of each party was very beneficial to our efforts today."
- "Brad, thank you for your time and assistance today. You run a very good process and we appreciated your pragmatic approach."
- "Mr. Winters did an outstanding job for the parties."
- "Brad mediated a case for a client of mine and we loved his approach."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More