Since joining JAMS as a full-time neutral in 1989, Michael D. Young, Esq. has conducted approximately 2000 complex or multi-party mediations and arbitrations in over thirty states (as well as in Puerto Rico) and abroad (such as in Rome, Madrid and Zurich), including approximately 300 arbitrations, appraisals or other binding dispute resolution proceedings.
Mr. Young has been recognized by various publications and members of the legal community as one of the most skilled and widely respected mediators and arbitrators in the United States. For example, in each edition of 2016-2019, Chambers and Partners identified Mr. Young as one of the seven mediators in the United States recognized in Band One. Chambers has noted “his deft, subtle handling of mediations…” and that he is recognized as “very talented yet very humble” mediator who “enjoys a strong reputation for his expert understanding of complex insurance and class action disputes, as well as a wide range of other matters." In addition, Best Lawyers chose him as “Mediator of the Year” for New York City for 2018-2019. He is also an elected fellow of the College of Commercial Arbitrators.
Mr. Young specializes in the mediation and arbitration of commercial, securities-related, insurance coverage, wage and hour, and professional liability disputes.
In addition to serving on the JAMS and JAMS International mediation and arbitration panels, Mr. Young is a member of the CPR International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and of the panels of the Beijing Arbitration Commission, Singapore International Mediation Center, Afghanistan Centre for Commercial Dispute Resolution, and of the Center for Arbitration and Dispute Resolution in Israel.
- Co-special master for discovery management, mediation and settlement implementation purposes in a class action against a law firm with respect to tax shelters and separate services as a mediator in multiple claims relating to tax shelters against an investment bank and others
- Member of a three-arbitrator panel in a Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel proceeding involving the allocation of a $200 million copyright royalty fund among various copyright holder claimant groups
- Member of a three-arbitrator tribunal in a hundred million dollar-plus dispute between the developer and publisher of a popular video game, raising contract, patent and copyright issues
- Chairperson of a three-arbitrator tribunal in International Chamber of Commerce proceeding involving a valuation dispute between Korean and Japanese companies
- Sole arbitrator in breach of contract dispute between manufacturer of airplane landing gear and its supplier following termination of the supplier
- Sole arbitrator in a collection action brought by a litigation funder against a litigant in which issues of enforceability of the agreement were litigated
- Sole arbitrator in breach of contract dispute between casino operator and hotel developer regarding termination of the development deal
- Mediated multiple “long tail” claim insurance coverage disputes between an insured and multiple CGL carriers at both the primary and excess levels, including matters relating to underlying toxic tort suits and one relating to head injuries in professional sports, resulting in resolutions encompassing both the payment of money/policy “buy-backs” as well as “cost-sharing” or “coverage in place” agreements
- Umpire in various binding property-damage insurance appraisals, including matters arising out of the World Trade Center collapse
- Mediated and arbitrated post-acquisition disputes between sellers and buyers of various types of businesses, including claims relating to balance-sheet adjustments and violations of "reps and warranties"
- Mediated an airplane leasing dispute between a syndicate of European banks and a financially unstable South American airline (conducted in Madrid, Spain, partially in Spanish)
- Mediated product supply dispute between an Israeli company and British company (conducted in Rome, Italy)
- Mediated multiple claims relating to the value of derivatives arising out of the Lehman bankruptcy proceeding
- Mediated multiple “Madoff”-related claims, including those against third party fund managers whose investors held positions in the Madoff fund and appointed by the court to arbitrate privilege issues arising out of the Madoff bankruptcy proceeding
- Mediated multiple claims relating to commercial or residential mortgage-backed securities
- Mediated and arbitrated numerous other insurance coverage disputes, including claims under “D&O,” first party property damage, “E&O,” CGL, Fidelity and other types of policies, at both excess and primary levels
- Mediated and arbitrated numerous legal malpractice claims involving, for example, missing statutes of limitations and conflicts of interests; as well as numerous claims of accountant malpractice alleging, for example, errors in tax filings or financial statements; and other types of professional liability matters, such as claims against actuaries
- Mediated numerous class actions, including securities and fraud claims for alleged misrepresentations by executives of public companies or sponsors of limited partnerships and related claims against attorneys who prepared offering memoranda or accountants who conducted audits; as well as numerous wage and hour class actions in all industries