The Queen’s Gambit for Mediation: Skills, Techniques, and Strategies for Seeing Three Moves Ahead Presented by the California Lawyers Association
Join JAMS neutral, Howard A. Herman, for a presentation on effective representation of a client in mediation requires skills, strategies, and techniques that differ from those used in court. This program explores key elements for lawyers to consider in preparing for and participating in mediation, whether the session is conducted in person, on a virtual platform, or in a hybrid environment. Topics to be addressed include:
- Understanding your case and developing a negotiation plan – positions, interests, and alternatives
- Choosing a mediator – stylistic differences beyond the false dichotomy of evaluative vs. facilitative mediators
- Customizing the mediation process – why pre-session calls with the mediator matter
- Selecting participants and preparing your client
- Advocating effectively in writing and orally
- Negotiating techniques and maintaining flexibility through the mediation
Featured JAMS Speakers
JAMS Events and Webinars
JAMS events and webinars bring you timely topics in alternative dispute resolution (ADR), industry-leading speakers and stellar networking opportunities. Explore our full list of upcoming events and webinars.
About JAMS – Local Solutions. Global Reach.TM
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services worldwide. JAMS successfully resolves business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways of overcoming barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized, in-person, virtual and hybrid dispute resolution services through a combination of first class client service, the latest technology, top-notch facilities, and highly trained mediators and arbitrators. More information about JAMS is available on our About Us page, and you can connect with us on Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook as well as our JAMS ADR blog.
1 Participatory MCLE Credits