Irvine, Calif. – JAMS, the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution (ADR) services worldwide, is pleased to announce that 13 neutrals were ranked in the 2019 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Ten panelists were recognized in the nationwide Mediators list: Hon. William J. Cahill (Ret.); David Geronemus, Esq.; Robert A. Meyer, Esq.; Barbara A. Reeves, Esq.; Hon. Scott J. Silverman (Ret.); Hon. Daniel Weinstein (Ret.); Hon. Diane M. Welsh (Ret.); Hon. Rebecca Westerfield (Ret.); Catherine Yanni; and Michael D. Young, Esq. In addition, two neutrals were ranked on the Construction: Mediators list for California: George D. Calkins II, Esq., and Kenneth C. Gibbs, Esq. Robert B. Davidson, Esq., was named to the International Arbitration: Arbitrators list.
The following are excerpts from the guide and JAMS biographies regarding each neutral.
- Hon. William J. Cahill (Ret.) is recognized in the market for his distinguished mediation practice. He presides over cases involving insurance, securities and intellectual property matters. He has particular expertise in disputes concerning technology companies.
- George D. Calkins II, Esq., is known for his mediation practice pertaining to construction disputes arising from defects and engineering issues. He has a wealth of experience mediating claims arising from public works and infrastructure projects.
- Robert B. Davidson, Esq., draws praise for his extensive experience sitting as an arbitrator. His practice spans a number of sectors, including pharmaceuticals, licensing and financial services. "Bob is great," says an interviewee, explaining that "he's even-keeled, smart, unflappable and has a deft touch."
- Kenneth C. Gibbs, Esq., is a highly regarded mediator and arbitrator who routinely handles construction disputes. He has expertise involving engineering matters. Interviewees describe him as "one of the top mediators," adding: "He is a thoughtful and bright mediator with a good disposition."
- David Geronemus, Esq., maintains an excellent reputation for his experience as a mediator. His New York-based practice covers a broad array of disputes, including construction law, unfair competition and personal injury, among others. One source says: "Without being pushy, he is relentless in exploring possible resolutions of cases and does so with extraordinary creativity. He helps parties explore the strengths and weaknesses of their own cases, all toward the end of seeking an acceptable resolution for all."
- Robert A. Meyer, Esq., is noted for his experienced handling of large cases involving complex securities, litigation and class action matters. Sources praise his "high-quality" work and his determination to resolve difficult disputes. He is based in Los Angeles.
- Barbara A. Reeves, Esq., has significant experience presiding over a wide array of complex cases, including breach of contract and intellectual property disputes. A JAMS practitioner based in Los Angeles, she mediates for a broad array of clients, including those in the energy, entertainment and sports industries.
- Hon. Scott Silverman (Ret.) is based in Miami and is commended for his experience as a mediator. He regularly resolves matters including health care and employment disputes.
- Hon. Daniel Weinstein (Ret.) wins high praise for his expert handling of complex commercial disputes. He has experience in a wide range of matters, including antitrust, securities and class actions. Based in San Francisco, he is one of the founders of JAMS.
- Hon. Diane Welsh (Ret.) is highly respected for her ability to successfully resolve disputes with sensitivity, patience and persistence. Based in Philadelphia, she has successfully resolved over 5,000 matters, including multi-party commercial disputes, employment matters, catastrophic personal injury cases, class actions, mass torts and multidistrict litigations.
- Hon. Rebecca Westerfield (Ret.) is noted as "at the cutting edge of the field" by peers. She regularly handles complex corporate cases, including those with insurance, banking and personal injury issues. One source says: "She has a wonderful demeanor and is highly knowledgeable." She is based in San Francisco.
- Catherine Yanni is based in San Francisco and mediates a broad array of complex cases, including mass torts, product liability and data breach disputes. Sources note her "high-quality" reputation.
- Michael D. Young, Esq., enjoys a strong reputation for his expert understanding of complex insurance and class action disputes, as well as a wide range of other matters. One source says: "He understands insurance nuances, and both policyholders and insurers think highly of him." Another comments: "He is very sensitive to the politics of issues and the sensitivity of the emotions involved." He is a JAMS practitioner based in New York.
About Chambers and Partners
Chambers and Partners is based in London and began as general book publishers in 1969. Chambers’ staff of full-time researchers now prepares legal directories, which assess and rank the world’s leading lawyers according to their reputations among peers and clients.
The USA Guide was first introduced in 2003 and ranks the leading firms and lawyers in an extensive range of practice areas throughout the country. The research is in-depth and client focused. Law firms and individual lawyers are assessed on technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment and other qualities most valued by the client.
About JAMS – Local Solutions. Global Reach.
Founded in 1979, JAMS is the largest private provider of alternative dispute resolution services worldwide. With 28 locations, JAMS and its nearly 400 panelists are responsible for resolving thousands of the world’s important cases every year.
JAMS successfully resolves and manages business and legal disputes by providing efficient, cost-effective and impartial ways to overcome barriers at any stage of conflict. JAMS offers customized dispute resolution services locally and globally through a combination of industry-specific experience, first-class client service, top-notch facilities and highly trained panelists.