Shelley Rossoff Olsen, Esq., joined JAMS in 2011 and is recognized as a specialist on dispute resolution in a wide variety of practice areas, mediating thousands of cases. She is an authority on medical malpractice, maritime, personal injury, and insurance disputes. Ms. Olsen is highly respected by both the defendant and plaintiff bars. She is known for her persistent and fair approach in achieving a resolution for all parties involved.
In addition to her active mediation practice, Ms. Olsen is the Special Master of the New York City Asbestos Litigation, a role she was appointed to in February 2013. In her role as Special Master, she coordinates thousands of asbestos related cases for discovery and trial. She coordinates with the trial judges and the NYCAL Coordinating Judge to encourage and bring about a fair and expeditious resolution of cases.
Ms. Olsen developed her extensive civil law background by representing both plaintiffs and defendants, through her work at three prominent New York City law firms where she tried complex medical malpractice, labor law, lead poisoning, premises liability, and personal injury cases. She was the Senior Court Mediator and Summary Jury Trial Judge in the Supreme Court, New York County Civil Division from 2005-2009 where she settled thousands of matters involving a wide range of issues. Before then, Ms. Olsen was a principal court attorney in the Supreme Court Appellate Division, First Department for five years.
- Medical Malpractice
- Labor & delivery, surgical, diagnostic, informed consent, and emergency department liability
- Maritime/Admiralty: Negotiated numerous settlements involving injuries aboard sea vessels including:
- Catastrophic injury
- Jones Act
- Failure to maintain a safe work environment
- Wrongful death
- Personal Injury: Settled all types of personal injury actions including:
- Catastrophic injury claims including brain-damaged infants, elevator and crane malfunction injuries, quadriplegia, electrocution, amputation, and disfigurement
- Product liability including medical devices, commercial equipment, automotive, and design defect
- Toxic tort including claims involving asbestos, mold, lead, and radiation
- Wrongful death including subway track accidents and nursing home cases
- Professional Liability: Tried and settled numerous medical, legal, accountant, and architect malpractice matters including:
- Comingling of funds
- Fee disputes
- Professional misconduct
- Business/Commercial: Settled numerous business disputes in the financial, entertainment, banking, and technology industries including:
- Art counterfeiting
- Broker-dealer and stock and bond disputes
- Commercial contracts
- Entertainment licensing
- Partnership dissolutions
- Valuation of assets
- Construction/Labor Law
- Court Attorney at First Department during evolution of ladder law cases resulting in the Blake decision
- Labor Law sec. 240(1) and 241(6) cases
- Settled thousands of Labor Law matters
- Insurance/Re-Insurance: Resolved hundreds of cases involving coverage issues including:
- D&O liability
- Disaster insurance
- Primacy of coverage
- Valuation and property damage
Comments from Counsel
What Counsel Say About Shelley Rossoff Olsen’s Mediation Style and Skills
- “Shelley has certainly figured me out by now, humor and well-honed analysis based upon the evidence and not brute strength are the way to win me over”
- Probably the most contentious mediation I have participated in. Shelley was great and handled it perfectly, never losing her cool and keeping on target."
- "The mediation experience with Ms. Olsen was extraordinary. On several occasions I was ready to leave without a settlement. Ms. Olsen repeatedly urged me to stay and continue. I stayed. The case is settled. There would have been no settlement without Ms. Olsen."
- In a word, mediator was excellent. Complex, serious wrongful death case handled deftly & without any needless browbeating."
- "Mediator Olsen was terrific, determined, patient, persistent, cool, pleasant and effective."
- "Ms. Rossoff Olsen is a wonderful mediator- knowledgeable, works hard and is effective and fair."
- "Shelley was fantastic. This was a very difficult mediation with many different moving parts. Shelley knew which buttons to push, who to pressure when and how to ultimately achieve settlement with difficult parties involved. Excellent job!"